Most know, some don't. Several probably think it's just another example of my big ideas. And, my sentence structure here, is likely to look like a Rob Bell book. (Hopefully similar to the witty footnotes, yet certainly different in the mind blowing historical stuff).
About 32 years ago (+ some), my parents prayed for a child.
Almost 31 years ago (yikes), I was born. As they read Bible stories to me, I remember, even as a child, relating to the story of Hannah and Samuel and having whatever thought you can in your childish mind that, "This is me."
About 16 years ago, I felt called to ministry. (Ensue theological debate on that statement). However, I know what I felt and I know what God spoke to me. Additionally, I also know all the dumb games we sometimes play with God in situations like this (if they sing this song...read this verse...sing 14 verses of Just As I Am...) and know that he played right back (I'm not really calling God a game player).
About 13 years ago, I started school at OBU and changed my major about 14 hundred times. Seriously. This all lead to a decision to major in Elementary Ed. I never would have imagined it, but I honestly believe I was created to teach. I love my job and mostly feel like I do it well.
About 4 years ago, I moved to New Orleans (for a 2nd time) to attend seminary and was studying Christian Education. (This would all be game playing part 2....seriously...yes, 3 different pastors can all preach on the calling of Abraham in one Sunday). Hurricane Katrina had other plans.
About 3 years ago, I moved to Little Rock. I "fell" into a job as a math specialist, where I have learned and grown more than I ever thought possible. I have met and fell in love with many wonderful people and about 700 precious students. I still, however, felt called into ministry and felt that this was a temporary position. I began attending Summit Church in North Little Rock and it became home. It is an amazing church and I could go on and on.
About 2 years ago, I was questioning God about what was next. At that same time, I begin to hear statements about our church beginning church plants. Because of the paragraph before this one, I thought maybe God had me here for this....and one would be near the community full of the kids I love so much.
A few months later, I went to Seattle on a mission trip. There, we helped a church plant do a sports camp. I fall in love with every place I visit and usually begin trying to figure out how I'm going to move there. While I definitely fell in love with Arlington and the people of The Commons, I knew that God had not called me there. (Though He was calling my beautiful friend Kathy there....read more about her and her journey...) I came home having enjoyed the trip and having enjoyed ministering.
It had been announced in the spring that our student minister and his family felt called to start a church plant in Tuscaloosa. After returning home, I began feeling like God was calling me to this. I kept waiting for a burning bush or the Arkansas River to allow me to walk through it (not making fun of God's signs....just that I didn't simply trust his calling). As the year has progressed, I've had this calling confirmed more and more.
I am currently in the process of trying to find a job in Tuscaloosa. Paperwork is my downfall and I'm really struggling to 1) get everything done with work, tutoring, life and this process and 2) figure out what all needs done.
Please pray for me regarding this. Please pray for me to find a job in the location and with the people that God would have me build relationships with. Please tell me, when you talk to me, to get my butt in gear.
If you talk to me, I will still say "I'm planning on this...." Since Katrina, "that's the plan," has often become my mantra. I do trust God's provision, I trust his calling, but I do not know His full plan.
I feel like I have been called to Tuscaloosa. I am actively looking for jobs and would appreciate your prayers and any help you may have regarding that. If I find a job or God asks me to step out in faith, I will be moving to Tuscaloosa -- my plan for this is over the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment