I was offered a job last week as a 4th grade teacher with the Tuscaloosa City School System. I will be moving there over the next month. :)
I don't think there's enough space in the world to type the thoughts that are going through my head during these days and nights.
As I've probably told most anyone who reads this already, to move from a place and life you love to what God is clearly calling you to do is probably the optimal situation. While knowing this definitely calms fears, this time is still a bit scary, so very sad and a quite anticipatory.
I cry as I drive over the 430 Bridge, as I think of my school full of coworkers and students I love, as I think of my sunday school girls, as I think of missing my friends and my family. Change is hard. I used to pride myself on being very adaptable...on not being tied to any "home." Maybe this is why I'm so tired to the piles of crap I'm trying to sort through and purge. I just move everything with me so wherever I am is always home. Who knows.
However, I am beginning to think that rather than having no home, I make everywhere home. Even prior (obviously) to moving to (or even visiting) Tuscaloosa, it somehow felt like I was missing home. Little Rock is not where I was raised, but it has my heart; it, too, is home. Daisy Bates is home, The Summit is home... I could continue (New Orleans, Monticello, Arkadelphia, Nashville, Mississippi College.....). All of these places are ones my heart skips a beat when I think of, places that I miss in the same way I miss old friends. I'm not sure if this means that I am adaptable or horribly not so. My friend, Blair, had a tweet with a similar sentiment recently.
In my last blog, I mentioned the sermon on Abraham. You'll be glad to know that Sarah and Abraham (and Genesis 12) were the sermon topic on Sunday.
So continues the journey....
What's next:
I start inservice for school on August 6, however my apartment won't be ready until August 15. Today, I found out that I have orientations and professional development almost the entire week prior. So, I will go to Tuscaloosa next week for a few days, come back to Little Rock for a few and then "move" in my car around the 5th. When I am able to get into my apartment, people who are way too kind to me will bring my belongings down. And then, I begin again.
To God be the Glory!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment