I've been in Tuscaloosa almost exactly a month now.
Things I've learned and am continuing to learn:
1) An apartment with no internet or cable is a quiet place.
2) Static works for background noise (see #1)
3) Kids are loving. And crazy. And crazy loving.
4) God is amazingly faithful and able to provide: new friends, a church family, that smile exactly when you need it, money to pay for an empty school room, a sense of direction in a new town, rest when the hours of sleep are small, that belly laugh that comes at just the right time, wisdom in a situation that you are unequipped for...and I could go on and on.
5) Kids are freaking hilarious...
6) Big Al's is not all that open to newcomers...and if you're not someone's first cousin, you're a new comer.
7) They make more Alabama clothing/stuff than I ever thought possible
8) If I go home on a Sunday afternoon, more than likely a nap is coming rather than school work
9) It is possible for me to be on time to work
10) Home is found in many different people and places
11) I may or may not be addicted to Newks and Taco Casa Dr. Pepper...and the Publix penny item
I'll have to add more later.
It's been a month. It's been a great month...with a few trying times. So far my best crying episodes have been in the bathroom of my school room while my kids were at recess and at the bank last Monday. Awesome. How's that for humbling. Yes, I do hide my head and continually apologize for being the crazy one at the bank.
It's a struggle, because this month has been solely about work; and honestly, it has kicked my butt right up about between my shoulders. I stay at work most days until about 5:30 and then plan until about midnight and up at about 5:30 to start all over again. If I listed the issues of my student's, the blogosphere would be like, whoa...too much data. However, they are the most precious, loving children in the world -- and I've been around a lot of those, so that's a big deal for me to say. I sometimes am like, God, what am I missing out on that you have for me. I cram in a prayer as I drift off and as I wake up.
I need to make more time for Him. I have prayed for wisdom more in the past 31 days than i have in my life. He is showing me lately to seek Him more...and reminding me that He knows my precious little ones much better than anyone else and can help me understand them if I rely on Him.
I am loving it here. That's easier to say on the days that I've gotten more sleep than in a usual week, but that has nothing to do with location. The Saturday 2 weeks ago that I kept running into people I knew throughout town, I realized that God has made this place home. I drive around and don't feel like a newcomer. That's nice. And weird.
Getting ready for the Safe Haven launch next weekend. As Troy spoke this morning, he said, "The past 3 months have been about stuff -- getting stuff together, now it's about people." It put into words the feeling that I have. While God has been working and I know that there are opportunities I have seen and others I have missed, preparation time is over. It's work time...how exciting, scary and humbling.
With an anticipatory (and happy) heart. Love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment